Half-Hour Chili30 mins Print
Prep time: 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium onions , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28-ounce can plus one 14-ounce can whole tomatoes , chopped, with juices
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans , rinsed
- 1/3 cup bulgur , (see Note)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt , for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions , for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro , for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder to taste and cumin. Cook, stirring often, until the onions and carrot are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, sugar and salt; cook for 5 minutes over high heat. Reduce heat to low; stir in beans and bulgur. Simmer until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with yogurt, scallions and cilantro, if desired.
TIPS & NOTES
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don’t confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, buylebanese.com.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
- 217 calories / Per serving
- Carbs 40 g
- Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Protein 10 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fiber 13 g
- Sodium 697 mg
- Potassium 854 mg
- Added Sugar 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2 g