In studies with BELVIQ® 10 mg Twice Daily
Proven Weight Loss With Lasting Impact
Patients treated with BELVIQ® were 3 to 4 times more likely to achieve ≥10% weight loss vs. placebo in studies of more than 6600 patients1.
- Pooled BLOOM/BLOSSOM: OR 3.1 (95% CI: 2.6, 3.6); 22.4% taking BELVIQ® vs 8.7% taking placebo, P<.001
- BLOOM DM: OR 4.1 (95% CI: 2.1, 8.1); 16.3% taking BELVIQ® vs 4.4% taking placebo, P<.001
CI=confidence interval; OR=odds ratio
Two-thirds of patients who continued taking BELVIQ® beyond Year 1 maintained clinically meaningful weight loss through Year 2BLOOM 2-Year Data >
Change in Multiple Cardiometabolic Parameters
- BELVIQ® demonstrated a decrease in blood pressure and heart rate*1,2
- Blood pressure: –1.8/–1.6 mmHg with BELVIQ® vs –1.0/–1.0 mmHg with placebo (systolic/diastolic)
- Heart rate: –1.2 bpm with BELVIQ® vs –0.4 bpm with placebo
- Because BELVIQ®/BELVIQ XR® may cause a slow heartbeat, it should be used with caution in patients with a history of bradycardia or heart block greater than first degree
- Patients taking BELVIQ® demonstrated significant reductions in HbA1c and fasting plasma
- HbA1c: –0.9% with BELVIQ® vs –0.4% with placebo
- Fasting plasma glucose: –27.4 mg/dL with BELVIQ® vs –11.9 mg/dL with placebo
- Belviq is not indicated for the treatment of blood pressure, heart rate, or type 2 diabetes.
*The effect of BELVIQ® on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality has not been established.Impact on BP, HR, and Other Cardiometabolic Parameters >
Safety and Tolerability
- The most common adverse reactions for BELVIQ® 10 mg twice daily
- In patients without diabetes: headache (17%), dizziness (9%), fatigue (7%), nausea (8%), dry mouth (5%), and constipation (6%)
- In patients with diabetes: hypoglycemia (29%), headache (15%), back pain (12%), cough (8%), and fatigue (7%)
- Discontinuation rates due to adverse reactions were similar between BELVIQ® and placebo (8.6% vs 6.7%)
Also Available - BELVIQ XR®: Simple, Once-Daily Formulation, Taken With or Without Food
BELVIQ is also available as a simple, once-daily formulation proven to be slowly absorbed in the body and last throughout the day. Bioequivalence was demonstrated between 20 mg, once-daily XR formulation and 10 mg, twice-daily dosing for BELVIQ.Dosing & Administration >
More About BELVIQ XR®
In 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved BELVIQ XR, an extended-release formulation of lorcaserin. BELVIQ XR offers simple, once-daily dosing for your patients, and can be taken with or without food.
In a phase 1 clinical trial,* BELVIQ XR extended-release, 20 mg tablets administered once daily were compared with the immediate-release formulation of BELVIQ 10 mg tablets administered twice daily and were found to be bioequivalent.3
- A single-dose administration of BELVIQ XR 20 mg once daily, resulted in comparable total plasma exposure (AUC), but approximately 25% lower peak exposure (Cmax) relative to two doses of BELVIQ immediate release, 10 mg, twice daily
- At steady state, Cmax and AUC of BELVIQ XR 20 mg once daily were determined to be bioequivalent to BELVIQ immediate-release 10 mg twice daily
Effect of food: There was no significant food effect on the rate or extent of absorption of BELVIQ XR.
*in 34 healthy patients